Sunday, 26 September 2010

101 Damn Stations

I have created a spreadsheet with all the different stations so I can keep track of them and make sure I visit every one. There are 101 of them! Crikey. This is going to be a big task.

I am also going to categorise each stop by line, which seems a good idea. That way, people can search by line (e.g. Huddersfield Line) as well as by post date.

Ninety-two of the stations are within the Greater Manchester “ticketing area”. The other nine consist of six Metrolink stops and three stations that fall outside the ticketing area.

The Metrolink stops are Shudehill, Mosley Street (southbound only), Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, St. Peter’s Square and GMEX. Incidentally, as of a few days ago, the GMEX stop is called “Deansgate-Castlefield, presumably because the GMEX Centre has been officially known as “Manchester Central Conference Centre” for some time, although most people still seem to refer to it as “GMEX” or “The GMEX”. (Confusingly, the centre itself was once Manchester Central Station, which closed in 1969 and was subsequently used as a car park until the then Greater Manchester Council started to redevelop it and turn it into the GMEX.)

The three rail stops at which the traincard is valid are Disley, New Mills Central and New Mills Newtown. The first stop is in Cheshire and the other two are in Derbyshire.

1 comment:

  1. Have you included Reddish South and Denton in your list? Looking forward to reading all your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete